- 5 LB – Lean Beef or Venison
- Jerky Seasoning and cure (for 5 lb meat)
- 1 Cup – Water
- Combine jerky seasoning and cure with 1 cup of water and stir until well combined.
- Slice beef against the grain, into ¼” to 3/8” slices (using a meat slicer will give the best results)
- Combine the sliced meat and jerky marinade together in a bowl and mix until meat is well coated.
- Place meat in a ziplock bag and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Remove jerky from fridge and lay onto racks in a single layer (avoid overcrowding for optimal airflow). Let it rest at room temperature while the smoker preheats.
- Line smoker drip tray with new aluminum foil.
- Preheat smoker to 140F on Smoke mode with dampers wide open.
- Place racks of jerky in smoker. Run 2 hours.
- Fill pan ¾ full with sawdust and dampen thoroughly with water. Form mixture into a funnel shape and place on the heating element.
- Increase temperature to 170F. Set the dampers to 2/3 closed.
- Smoke for 3 hours.
- Carefully remove the sawdust pan from the smoker. (Pro Tip: Rotating racks at this stage will promote even drying).
- Set the dampers wide open and run until desired texture (3-5 hrs).
- Turn smoker off and let it rest in the smoker for 4-5 hours before packaging and storing.
beef, Beef Jerky, Jerky, Recipe Blog, Venison, wild game