- 1 – Whole Turkey, 16-20 lb
- Turkey Brine Kit
- 2 TB – Olive Oil
- 3/4 Cup – Seasoning
- Prepare turkey according to directions on brine kit.
- Remove turkey from brine and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Then pat dry with paper towel.
- Drizzle turkey with olive oil and rub into the skin.
- Season generously. Truss/dress the turkey.
- Allow turkey to rest at room temperature for 1 hour before placing in the smoker.
- Line smoker drip tray with new aluminum foil.
- Preheat smoker to 180F on smoke mode with dampers 2/3 closed.
- Place turkey on a rack, breast side up. Place an aluminum pan on rack below the turkey to catch drippings (pro tip: use drippings for gravy).
- Insert a meat probe to monitor temperature.
- Run until internal temperature reaches 90F (about 1 hour).
- Fill pan ¾ full with sawdust and dampen thoroughly with water. Form mixture into a funnel shape and place on the heating element.
- Set dampers to 2/3 closed, smoke for 2 hours.
- Carefully remove the sawdust pan.
Change setting to cook and increase temperature to 275F, close dampers.
Pro Tip: To crisp up the skin, finish your turkey in a pre-heated oven at 400F for 15-20min
Remove from smoker and rest for 30-45 minutes before carving.
Chicken, poultry, Recipe Blog, Smoked Chicken